Thursday, January 15, 2009

Turkey Tetrazzini

This a great way to use your turkey leftovers! Or if you don't want to wait until you have a turkey dinner just use chicken instead.


My Mum often made this after a Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey dinner. She would make her sauce from scratch using flour, butter and milk etc, but when I first made this dish myself (I was really missing my Mum's food) I didn't have tones of time. I found using cream of mushroom soup instead of making a white sauce from scratch turns out just as nice! I now always make it this way.


(Feeds 4 people)
300g spaghetti (uncooked)
3 tbps olive oil
1 medium onion (chopped
50g mushrooms (sliced) - this will be about 3-4 cups
2 x 295g can condensed cream of mushroom soup
250ml milk
125ml red wine
60g parmesan cheese (grated
300g cooked turkey (chopped
3/4 tsp black pepper
salt to taste
25g fresh breadcrumbs


Instructions:
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan and cook onion until starting to soften, approx 4 min. Add mushrooms and cook for another 2 min. Add turkey and heat through then set aside
- Cook pasta as per package instructions, al dente
- Meanwhile, pour both cans of soup into a pot and mix in with milk. Heat through on medium until smooth. The add wine and heat for a further 2 min. Add about 50g of the parmesan and set aside the remaining for later. Add pepper and salt. Set aside.
- Mix breadcrumbs with the remaining olive oil and parmesan
- In an greased casserole dish mix pasta with sauce mixture
- Top with the breadcrumb mixture
- Baked in the over at 375 F (gas mark 5) for 20 min or until top is golden


Note: This time I didn't have enough bread to make crumbs so I added some stuffing mix to the bread I did have, and voila! It worked great!
Also I had some spinach in the fridge which needed to be used so....in went the Popeye food too! Who says I can't eh?

1 comment:

Diana said...

U rock cooking blogger! All my thanks to this wonderful recipe, now that Tetrazzini is in my life, I never have day-after-feast-wastes!