Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Classic Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin pie, Pumpkin pie wherefore art thou Pumpkin pie? .....on my dining table, that's where you are, and in my tummy is where you will be!

God bless the pumpkin!! It's got to be one of many people's top reasons Autumn may be their favourite season! It is for me anyway.

As you can see from my previous post I've just experience making my first truly successful pastry!
I have made pastry before, as I mentioned but this time has surged an abundant feeling of pride, and what better pie to go along with this occasion, and considering the time of year, than pumpkin pie!

I've kept it a Canadian classic by using the E.D. Smith pumpkin pie filling recipe (but I did decrease the mount of nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon slightly, Turned out lovely! So you can easily adjust the amount of spices to your own taste)

*To make 1 pie:
2 eggs
1/2 of a 796ml can of E.D. Smith Pure Pumpkin
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 salt
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 9 inch unbaked home-made deep dish pie shell - pastry recipe here
(I used 2 very shallow pie dishes instead of 1 deep dish)

Instructions:
- Beat eggs lightly in a medium bowl. Add pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt; stir until well combined
- Blend in the milk, then pour the filling in the pie shell
- Bake at 425F (gas mark 7) for 15min. Reduce temperature to 350F (gas mark 4) and continue baking for another 30-35 minutes, or until knife inserted in the centre of the pie comes out clean
- Take pie out of the oven and place on a wire rack to cool


Serve each slice with a dollop of fresh whipped cream...heaven in one bite!

* To make 2 pies, use 1 whole can (796ml) pure pumpkin and double up all other ingredients. Unused portions can be refridgerated or frozen

No comments: