Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tendeflake Pastry

I've made my second attempt at home made pastry. I made my first one a few years ago....so long ago in fact, I can't even remember how it turned out. It must have been ok because I don't remember crying over the results (a common outcome when I mess up on attempts at baking - hoh hum!)

This time it certainly turned out excellent! This recipe is definitely foolproof :)

Sorry I don't have a photo of the dough, but I did take a photo of the first pie I made with the pastry here

I used the Tenderflake (All Canadian baking goods company) recipe which is the same one my Mum has been using for years and become and expert by now!

I made a huge batch to keep plenty in the freezer for later.
This recipes makes enough for 6 9 inch pie crusts.

6 cups of pastry flour (or 5 1/2 cups all purpous flour)
2 tsp salt
500g vegetable shortening
1 tbsp vinegar
1 egg, lightly beaten
cold water

Instructions:
- Mix the flour and salt together
- cut in the vegetable shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse oatmeal
- In a 1 cup measure combine the egg and vinegar. Put in enough cold water to make 1 full cup
- Slowly add the liquid to the flour mixture, working it in with your hands. (The recipe said to add only enough liquid to make dough cling together... I did end up using all the liquid)
- Gather into a ball onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 6 portions. Wrap unused portions in plastic and refridgerate or freeze for later use
- On the floured surface and with a floured rolling pin, roll our the portions you would like to use for your pie of choice
(If dough is sticking place in the fridge for 1-2 hours....I didn't need to do this, but I did form my pie base, covered it with plastic, and placed in the fridge for 30 minutes, while I prepared my pie filling)

This pastry is perfect for making in large batches and using as you need because it's good for savoury or sweet pies!

No comments: